Find the answer to your question on this page…
- What are the tournament dates?
Friday and Saturday, November 15 and 16, 2019
- What is the location?
Sonny’s Boxing Gym, 108 E Western Ave, Avondale, AZ 85323
- What is the tournament schedule?
Subject to change based on number of contestants.
Thursday November 14, 2019 (Optional)
6:00 to 8:00pm Tournament check-in
Friday November 15, 2019:
7am to 9am:Tournament checkin
Weigh in for today’s contestants
4:00pm Fights start
Saturday November 16, 2019:
7am to 9am: Weigh in for today’s contestants
12:00pm Fights start
6:00pm Tournament Celebration Party at Sonny’s. All participants, family and audience members are invited to attend.
- When are the weigh-ins?
The competitors must weigh-in the morning of each day they compete between 7am to 9am.
- Who is organizing this event?
Sonny Gutierrez, a 35 year veteran of boxing who is currently a trainer and gym owner. Jennifer Rasnick, a boxing tournament organizing veteran and partner of Sonny Guitierrez. Geoff Ronning a Master Boxer and lifelong boxing fan.
- How long are the rounds?
For boxers under 50 years old, the rounds are 1.5 minutes. If both boxers agree at weigh in they are allowed to go 2 minute rounds. Boxers 50 and over it is 1 minute rounds. If both boxers agree at weigh in they are able to go 1.5 minute rounds.
Who and What You Need to Compete. Medicals. Equipment. USA Boxing Passbook
- Who can compete
Anyone from 35 years old and up who has never fought professionally that has a current medical clearance and Passbook with USA Boxing or is an International competitor and has a Book with AIBA, Canada or Australia.
- What do I need to get to compete?
- What are the USA Boxing rules?
- Can I register prior to getting my USA Boxing Passbook?
Yes you may. Just make sure you acquire your Passbook from USA Boxing prior to competing in the tournament.
- Do I need my own coach with me to compete in the tournament?
No. There will be plenty of people that can corner you at the event for free, obviously.
- What hand wraps do I need?
You can use either tape and gauze or standard hand wraps.
- Do I need to bring my own gloves?
No, the tournament will provide the gloves.
- What equipment do I need to bring?
Your passbook, Master Boxing Headgear, mouthguard, hand wraps and groin protector,
- Can I have a beard?
Yes if it is neatly trimmed to less than 2” in length.
- I have registered, how do I pay?
Travel, Food, Local and Weather:
- Will food be available at the tournament location?
Yes we will have an array of options for you to purchase.
- What Airport should I fly into for the Tournament?
- How should I get from the Airport to the Tournament area?
- Is there a host Hotel?Yes, the Best Western Phoenix Goodyear Inn. 623-932-3210. Mention “Sonny’s Boxing Tournament” for a discount rate. Discount ends in August. November is a busy time in AZ so make your reservations as early as possible to avoid being disappointed.
- What other Hotels are nearby?
- I understand Phoenix is popular in Nov, how quickly should I make hotel reservations?
You should make your hotel reservations as soon as possible. Phoenix is very busy in November and hotels will sell out and increase in price substantially.
- Do I need a rental car while in town?No, the host hotel is less than a mile from the tournament site so you would not need a rental car to move between the hotel and tournament. In addition you could use Uber, cab or Shuttle from the airport to the hotel.
- What restaurants are nearby?
- What will the weather be like?
The weather will be a high of about 75 and low of 50 Fahrenheit.
- Who can I contact with additional questions?